Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Healing for the Heart and the Soul




I had an English professor who always told us to read poetry. "It's good for you," he said.

And it is. It makes you think critically and creatively.

So here's Shakespeare's Sonnet 29 (thank you Sergio). It will help put things in perspective, no?


If you don't have a love to direct this to, there's always God, Jesus, the Universe, etc...


They/It/He/Whatever never breaks up with you or breaks your heart.


(note: read to punctuation, not the end of a line!)

When, in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries
And look upon myself and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possess'd,
Desiring this man's art and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least;
Yet in these thoughts myself almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth, sings hymns at heaven's gate;
For thy sweet love remember'd such wealth brings
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.


Photos are by tim eschaton, nattu, giopuo, mike52ad and xamad, in that order. All images were found using creativecommons.org.
Click on images for more by artist.

4 comments:

  1. I like the picture of the Andromeda galaxy. It makes me feel like there is more to life than just what is in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. honestly after reading it a couple of times it doesn't seem to be directed towards his love for any particular person or object. rather it seems more of a reflection on his current views or state of being at the present moment; then changing his views. then again i'm no literary expert ^__^. i can honestly say i haven't read shakespeare since grade school :( cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. when in disgrace with fortune and men's eyes, i all alone beweep my outcast state...
    awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for your comment!
(good or bad. i can take it.)