Friday, August 6, 2010

Buying Local and In Season


(Oatmeal: Breakfast of champions and regular people.)


It occurred to me this morning, as I made my oatmeal, that I’ve been eating a lot of strawberries lately. Then it dawned on me: it’s summer. Strawberry is a summer fruit. Duh. And then it hit me (lots of “eureka!” moments this morning – must be the oatmeal), I don’t even know what fruits are seasonal around here, let alone try to eat them. I am completely out of tune with nature. Instead I eat bananas flown in from Ecuador, oranges from Florida and perfumed cardboard from McDonald's.


Everybody’s always talking about eating locally because it’s healthier for the body and the planet, and because it’s cheaper. So I did some research and found this website, which shows what grows in your area and when:



And then I found this one, which searches local farmers markets and even family farms where you can buy produce:


I think going to a farm to pick up your eggs, milk and produce could be a fun activity, and it will definitely keep you healthy and in tune with the planet and your environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for your comment!
(good or bad. i can take it.)